Is your West Chester, PA business fully protected from potential water damage caused by frozen pipes?
You’re probably aware of the common causes of water damage such as flooding and leaky pipes, but are you aware that frozen pipes can lead to a water damage disaster?
The water damage restoration experts at ServiceMaster by ARTec will be there if you suffer a water damage catastrophe, but we also want to provide you with useful tips to keep it from happening in the first place.
How frozen pipes lead to water damage
During the cold winter months, below freezing temperatures may cause the water inside your pipes to freeze. This freezing water can expand, which creates pressure that can ultimately cause your pipes to burst.
Here are some ways to prevent water damage caused by frozen pipes:
- Make sure your pipes are insulated – A great way to make sure your pipes don’t freeze in the first place is to make sure they’re insulated. Consider having your home inspected to make sure your pipes are insulated properly.
- Repair small breaks – A temporary patch kit can be used as a Band-Aid of sorts for small breaks until you’re able to make a full repair when the weather warms up.
- Use heat trace cables – These will help prevent your pipes from becoming frozen. These cables can be purchased at your local hardware or home maintenance store. Follow the instructions and run them along or around the pipe as directed.
- Shut off your main water valve – One way to prevent a calamitous result if your pipes do happen to break is to turn your main water valve off when your building isn’t occupied. If a pipe does burst, only the water in the pipes will cause damage.
- Open cabinets – Opening the cabinet doors in your building allows warm air to circulate around your pipes.
Sometimes, no matter how many preventative measures you take, bad things can still happen. If your West Chester, PA business does suffer an unfortunate water damage incident, contact us at 610-626-9002.