Enjoying family time in front of the fireplace inside your Philadelphia, PA home provides warmth and comfort in these harsh winter months. However, if you’re not careful this source of warmth and joy can quickly fuel a nightmarish situation.
The fire damage restoration experts at ServiceMaster by ARTec care about the safety of your family and your home. Today we’re going to share some fireplace safety tips that can prevent a potentially catastrophic situation in the future.
If a fireplace mishap does end up causing fire damage to your home, contact us for prompt fire damage restoration services.
But hopefully with the tips we share today, this type of situation will be prevented.
- Clean out the ashes from a previous fire before you start a new one. This seems like common sense, but forgetting to do so can result in a fireplace accident in the future.
- Open the fireplace flue before starting a fire.
- Keep highly flammable items at a safe distance from your fireplace. Items such as furniture, books, and newspapers should be at least three feet away from your fireplace.
- Utilize a metal screen to prevent burning embers or shifting logs from falling out and causing a fire.
- Keep small children and pets away from your fireplace.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by. Make sure it’s prepared for use and that you and your family know how to operate it. In the case of a fire, aim your fire extinguisher at the base of the fire and move it in a sweeping motion from left to right.
- Make sure the fire is completely put out before you go to bed or leave the house.
Hopefully these fireplace safety tips will prevent a fire from occurring in your Philadelphia, PA home, but nothing is ever guaranteed. In the unfortunate event of a fire in your home, please contact us at 610-626-9002 and let us guide you through the fire damage restoration process.