East Coast residents are all too familiar with the potential water damage that can be caused by severe weather conditions like tropical storms and hurricanes. Hurricane Joaquin is the latest of the potential severe weather conditions that can have an effect on the East Coast, and we at ServiceMaster by ARTec want to help you be prepared to weather the storm.
Hurricane Joaquin has been heading north from the Bahamas. The latest news suggests that the hurricane will not land in the state of Pennsylvania, but the hurricane’s path has already shown to be highly unpredictable. Governor Tom Wolf states, “We’re, as I always say, hoping for the best but we’re preparing for the worst.” He also said that “We have no grounds for complacency,” when it comes to preparing for the potential consequences of severe weather conditions.
Regardless of the path the hurricane takes, the area will likely have to deal with strong winds and heavy rainfall. Although forecasting technology has become more accurate over time, you should not rely on these forecasts as a guarantee of what to expect. If you live in Malvern, PA, or in a surrounding area, it’s important that you are prepared for all possible scenarios.
Here’s a checklist of items you may need:
- Nonperishable food items available
- Flashlights and batteries.
- At least 3 gallons of bottled water per person in your household.
- Fully stocked first-aid kit.
- At least a two week supply of prescribed medication.
- Battery powered radio and back up cell phone batteries.
- Baby food and formula if you have an infant.
- Spare batteries.
- Tool box with essential tools.
- Maps for evacuation routes.
- Full gas tank with back up gas can.
- Matches, charcoal, and lighter fluid.
Here’s what you should do if a storm is imminent:
- Make sure that all of the items and objects outside of your house are brought inside. If you don’t bring these items in they can cause damage to your house during a storm by flying towards it.
- If you have storm shutters or plywood boards use them to secure your windows.
- Go over your safety plan with your family. Discuss what you will do in case of an emergency situation.
- If there hasn’t been an evacuation ordered, find a safe area in your home to gather your family and avoid any windows. Do not go outside unless the structure of your home has been compromised.
- Keep your items from the checklist nearby in order to be prepared for any scenario that comes up.
You should always wait for news alerts to let you know that the storm has passed completely before you go outside. Once you are sure that it’s safe you can venture outside to check your property for damage. Even if the storm that passed over your area wasn’t a full blown hurricane, tropical storms and torrential rainfall can lead to all sorts of problems including flooding and water damage. Once you’ve inspected your property, call your insurance agent and then call a professional damage restoration service like ServiceMaster by ARTec.
At ServiceMaster by ARTec, we’ll always be there to provide assistance in the Malvern, PA and surround areas when you need us. We know how devastating severe weather can be and we will guide you through the water damage restoration process to make it as painless as possible. Contact us at (610) 626-9002 to report a loss or for more information.