Floods can cause a lot of damage to your home, including structural integrity problems, increased risk of mold growth, and ruined belongings. And if floods bring along sewage contamination, then the situation is further complicated. In the following, we look at the steps flood damage cleanup professionals, like those with ServiceMaster by ARTec, take to remove sewage contamination from your home in Philadelphia, PA.
Flooding and Sewage Contamination
Oftentimes, heavy rainfalls result in flooding, and this type of flooding can carry sewage among other substances into your home. In addition, if a sewage system malfunctions during flooding, then it will intensify the already serious situation.
For instance, if your septic system is run by a dosing pump, and during heavy rainfall the electricity is shut off, then the dosing pump will not function and a sewage backup will happen if your septic tank starts overflowing.
Sewage Spills and Flood Damage Cleanup
Here, we examine the procedures followed by flood damage restoration experts for cleaning sewage-contaminated possessions.
- Flood damage repair professionals thoroughly clean walls, floors, and other hard surfaces using soap and water. After that, these surfaces are disinfected using a bleach solution.
- Experts ensure that after cleanup is completed, all items and surfaces are dried properly to prevent the likelihood of mold growth.
- If sewage has been absorbed by linens and clothing, then hot water is used for cleaning these items.
- Flood repair experts recommend replacement of fiber board, fibrous insulation, and disposable filters of heating and air conditioning systems if they find that these items have absorbed sewage.
- Steam cleaning is performed for carpets in your house.
- Air drying and use of disinfectant spray is implemented if technicians find that certain items cannot be washed.
- If there are personal belongings that cannot be dry-cleaned (such as wall coverings, upholstered furniture, and mattresses), then flood damage cleanup experts will discard them.
Cleanup of Sewage Contamination outside Your House
Certain steps are followed by experts when sewage spills occurring outside your home are cleaned.
- Technicians make use of garden lime as part of the disinfection procedure for sewage contamination present outside your home.
- Experts sprinkle lime over all the contaminated surfaces and leave it for a day to dry out. After that, the residue is raked up and disposed of in the correct manner.
- Last, flood damage restoration professionals thoroughly wash the entire area and let it dry.
To summarize, sewage contamination carries several health risks and it’s necessary to take immediate steps if such contamination occurs during flooding.
The experts at ServiceMaster by ARTec have the required knowledge, training, experience, and access to equipment that is required to fully restore your home and its belongings.
All you have to do is get in touch with us at (610) 626-9002, and our flood damage cleanup experts will reach your home in Philadelphia, PA, check its condition, and take the necessary steps to clean up the contamination.