For many, Halloween marks the beginning of the holiday season, the spirit of fall festivities, and the best time of year for treats and tricks. The fun and spookiness, however, comes with a lot of open flames and hazardous decorations. The fire damage restoration professionals at ServiceMaster by ARTec want you and your family to be safe year-round, but if you do encounter a house fire, remember you can contact us for immediate help in Media, PA.
From strings of lights to jack-o-lanterns, Halloween decorations are some of the most fire-friendly of the year. Be safe this Halloween with our NFPA-approved fire safety tips.
- Double check your lights for broken fuses and inadequate or exposed wiring. Make sure lights are away from flammable materials like fake leaves, cloth, and vegetation.
- Ensure all electrical decorations have the correct voltage from output sources, and avoid stacking multiple extensions cords into each other.
- Try to minimize the use of highly flammable decorations like dry corn, paper, tulle, and cotton.
- Keep candles to a minimum. These days, battery-operated candles for jack-o-lanterns are readily available.
- Above all, keep an exit plan ready in case of a fire. Don’t block or crowd exits with decorations, no matter how moveable they may seem.
- Costumes can sometimes get out of hand if trailing fabrics, wooden frames, paper hats, and tails are involved. These kinds of costumes can be highly flammable, especially if they are made from cheap polyester (like most store-bought costumes).
- Give your children flashlights or glow-sticks instead of candles or lanterns to light the way.
- Stay away from candlelit paths when trick-or-treating.
- Try to keep your home from over-filling with costume-clad guests. If you have ghoulish guests that smoke, ask them to smoke outside, and provide appropriate receptacles for the proper disposal of their cigarette butts.
Overall, if you are alert and prepared this holiday season, you won’t have to worry about high risks of a house fire. If you do experience a fire-related disaster, contact us at ServiceMaster by ARTec for fire damage restoration in Media, PA.