For many of us, winter means hot chocolate, snowy days and spending time by the fireplace. But winter also brings cold winds, frost, sub-zero temperatures and ice. These weather conditions can often cause mild to severe damage to your home or business, which may result in costly repairs.
ServiceMaster by ARTec has some tips for you to prevent those common losses this winter, so you can enjoy your favorite things about the season:
- Clean out your gutters and install gutter guards so water from melted snow and ice can flow freely away from the house
- Remove dead branches and trim trees close to your home and vehicles – storms and snow can cause limbs to break and fall, damaging your property
- Seal cracks and holes in windows and your foundation to prevent snow-melt from seeping in; make sure you have proper protective weather stripping
- Maintain a temperature in your home of at least 65°F to keep your pipes from freezing – the air between your walls where your pipes are located is significantly colder than the interior of your home
- Check your pipes for cracks or leaks and install an emergency pressure release valve to prevent your pipes from bursting
- Make sure your heating system is serviced to prevent fire and smoke damage