In our previous post, ServiceMaster by ARTec provided tips for what you can do while a flood is underway. Here is a brief recap of the steps to take during a flood in your area:
- Remain informed of weather broadcasts and updates
- Move to higher ground
- Follow evacuation orders
- Practice safety with electrical equipment
- Avoid flood water
When the flood event is over, there are still dangers to be mindful of. Depending on the severity of the flood, there will be damage to buildings, roadways, and possessions that need to be dealt with. Here are some precautions to take after a flood, as recommended by the National Weather Service:
- Stay tuned to local news updates and road conditions via television, radio or the web. By remaining informed, you’ll know if water is safe to drink, if gas services are safe to use, and if electrical devices are safe to operate.
- Residual flood water may contain toxins and chemicals, so try to avoid them. There could also be sharp or hazardous debris in the water, so be careful!
- Stay clear of any disaster areas where your presence may get in the way of rescue or emergency operations.
- Mind road closures, detours and cautionary signs on the roadways. These were placed for your safety, so please pay attention to them.
- Be sure to wait for the “all clear” message from authorities before returning home. If you are unable to receive said communication, enter your residence with caution. The flood may have compromised the building’s foundation and/or electrical systems, so be careful.
- Let your friends and family know that you are safe. If you can, help spread the word in your community to make sure everyone is safe in the area.
- Contact your insurance provider following the flood event to discuss the damage done to your property and belongings.
At ServiceMaster by ARTec, we want the residents of Villanova and King of Prussia to be safe following a major flood. Please follow the recommended steps we’ve provided for before, during, and after a flood to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.
ServiceMaster by ARTec provides flood damage restoration throughout Delaware County. We’ll get your home and belongings back to their pre-loss condition, so give our technicians a call. We’re standing by to help you get your home back to normal.