As the warm days of summer march on, we’re all doing what we can to enjoy the great weather in New Castle, DE. It won’t be long before our nights begin to cool significantly and fall starts to creep in. This time of the year, many families have found their outdoor fire pit to be an excellent way to commune with friends and family without having to hitch up an RV or pitch a tent. There’s just something so satisfying about making s’mores and making memories around a fire.
While bonfires and fire pits are great fun, they can also cause significant harm and must be attended to carefully. ServiceMaster by ARTec provides fire damage restoration services in New Castle, DE, and offers you the following safety tips, so your fire doesn’t go from a peaceful family activity to a bad memory:
- Check your surroundings. The area should be clear at least 15 feet around the perimeter of the fire
- Make sure the foundation where the pit will be is level and stable
- Check the wind patterns. Never light a fire during high winds—a stray spark can travel, causing a fire elsewhere.
- Make sure your firewood is dry and the right kind of wood. Avoid any tar or creosote coated woods, and any wood that is pressure treated. They can emit noxious fumes that can make people sick, especially if you’re cooking food over the fire.
- When the fun is done, make sure the fire is extinguished. Tamp down all flames and stir the ash to make sure there are no hidden sparks.
If you have experienced fire damage from a fire pit, bonfire, or grill and are in need of fire damage restoration services, our trained fire damage restoration team can be on site quickly to help. We’re available 24/7/365 for residents in and around New Castle, DE. Contact us today by calling (610) 626-9002.