Summer is a Time for Fun, Family, and Friends in New Castle, DE.
The 4th of July is around the corner, which means many of us will be participating in two American pastimes; grilling and lighting fireworks. Both activities can be done safely, but they can also lead to the need for fire damage repair if done improperly.
As always, our goal is to keep disasters from happening at your New Castle, DE home or business, and be there to help if one of our services, such as fire damage repair, is needed.
Today we’re going to share some safety tips to protect your home and business from needing fire damage repair this summer.
Grilling Safety Tips
- Grill placement – You want to make sure your grill isn’t in a spot where it becomes a fire hazard. Under no circumstances should you use a gas or charcoal grill in your home (this has happened before even though it seems obvious not to do so). Also, make sure to keep your grill away from other potentially hazardous areas such as lawn games and play areas. You also want to keep your grill away from areas with heavy foot traffic where the grill can be knocked over.
- Keep a watchful eye – Make sure lighters, lighter fluid, and matches are kept in a locked location immediately after igniting the flame of your grill to ensure kids won’t get near them. In general, you want to keep kids away from your grill.
- Regularly clean your grill – Grease buildup can cause grill fires. You must keep grease from building up in your grill by cleaning it often. Ideally, your grill should be cleaned after every use.
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Keep water handy – Always have a bucket of water nearby in case of firework malfunction.
- Read labels carefully – Don’t light fireworks until you have a complete understanding of how you’re supposed to use them. Pay careful attention to recommendations on where fireworks can be used and what distances are safe for those around the fireworks.
- Don’t relight – If you try to light a firework and it doesn’t ignite properly, douse it with water and discard. Never try to relight a malfunctioning firework, as it must have malfunctioned for a reason.
- Check storage instructions – You want to make sure your fireworks are stored in a cool and safe space. Check the recommendations on the packaging to make sure you’re not storing them in a hazardous area.
ServiceMaster by ARTec Wants You to Stay Safe This Summer
Who doesn’t love summer? It’s the perfect time to be outdoors and enjoy yourself. If you follow these safety tips, your summer should be disaster free.
If, however, the unexpected occurs and you’re in need of fire damage repair, we’ll be there. Just pick up the phone and call (610) 626-9002.