When it comes to disaster plans, keeping the members of your family safe is the number one priority.
While we’ve discussed tips for helping your family stay safe during a disaster and work with a disaster restoration company to handle the aftermath, there’s one important type of member of your family ServiceMaster by ARTec hasn’t discussed. That changes today.
How to Create a Disaster Plan for Your Pet
In many homes, pets are considered just as much a part of the family as everyone else.
They can also be the members most difficult to manage. After all, they can’t speak or communicate like humans and you can lose track of them in chaotic situations.
Fortunately, there are some ways you can help keep your pet safe:
- Microchip – The future is here. A microchip can be implanted in your pet that keeps track of their whereabouts at all times. In the event of a major disaster like a flood or wildfire, you can recover your pet if the disaster caused them to stray from your Philadelphia, PA home.
- Collar – You also want to make sure your pet has a collar with clear identification and contact information. First, this will help others who may encounter your pet realize it is a pet (meaning it’s safer to interact with). Second, it adds another layer of protection on top of the microchip.
- Shelter – Some disasters can force you out of your home, which may mean you’ll need to find shelter for your pet in the event you can’t find shelter that accommodates both humans and pets. Be proactive and search for pet shelters in the area where you can take your pet in an emergency.
- Kit – We often discussed creating an emergency kit for your family. You should also include pet-specific items like pet first aid kits, extra collars, veterinary information, toys, food, water & food bowls, and more.
- Plan – As part of your disaster plan, make sure to take your pet into account and create scenarios to run through in the event a disaster strikes.
Disaster planning is important, and disaster restoration is crucial to get your Philadelphia, PA home back to its pre-loss state as soon as possible.
Find Reliable Disaster Restoration When You Need it Most
If you’re in need of emergency disaster restoration services, please contact ServiceMaster by ARTec at (610) 626-9002 as soon as possible. We’re available 24/7/365!