For many years the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) has waged campaigns urging people to not smoke in bed. It’s a well known fact that falling asleep with a lit cigarette can spell a fire disaster. However, there are other ways that fires can begin in the bedroom in your Chester, PA, home. ServiceMaster by ARTec wants to help you keep your home safe. Here are a few ways you can actively prevent a fire hazard in your bedroom.
- If you use space heaters, turn them on to warm up the room and then turn them off when going to bed. Space heaters should never be left unattended or used while sleeping.
- Don’t run electrical wires under carpeting where they could be fraying without your awareness. Don’t run them around door frames using staples or nails which can cause them to short out.
- Don’t leave laptops sitting on your bed while you sleep. They can overheat and start a blanket smoldering.
- Install child safety plugs on outlets so little fingers don’t poke little objects into the outlet. Electrical fire damage can be especially dangerous because it can smolder behind the walls for a long time before igniting.
- If you use electric blankets, only buy new, never use older ones, as they may not be up to industry standards. Make sure they lay flat, and never wash them.
- Replace candles with battery operated flameless candles.
- Install smoke alarms in your bedroom and test them each month. Replace the batteries whenever you hear beeping, or at least once yearly.
A fire doesn’t have to be large to cause severe fire damage. Even a small event can cause a major fire, smoke, or soot damage to occur and must be remediated properly before you can safely return to your home. ServiceMaster of ARTec proudly serves Chester, PA with expert fire damage restoration services. If your home has been damaged by a fire, contact us immediately at (610) 626-9002.